Monday, May 28, 2007

Where My Faith Lies

so where does my faith lie? in the written word, in literature,
in communion through story, in shared experience, in empathy,
in apathy, in desire to connect, in desire to disconnect, in nature,
in just fucking being still for a moment. my faith lies in a
stone bench that is not manmade; it lies in the curve of my stomach
when i am hungry; it lies in the tight muscles in my chest,
made even tighter by the sight of a word, which
was written by the soul of my mate how a word can influence
me, how i can influence someone else with a word.
how i am moved by the face of another.
my faith lies in knowing that i will fall into the abyss.
faith lies in the pit of a peach, in the pit of my stomach.
it lies wherever i think it does not; it lies in the ephemeral sugar
rush i will get if i eat sugar. it lies in the
question of logic; if i believe it exists, it exists because
i believe if i believe here is where my logic goes
here is where i lose my way how
can i have faith in something i cannot see i
cannot see faith where does it lie?

4 comments:

Chris said...

i loved this one jen, it's so well-written, i love the bit about the stone bench that's not manmade. so i guess that you found you do have faith after all?

nayade said...

jen, it is so beautiful to read this, I like its depth, sense and sensitiveness. I think it's not possible to express it better, and it transmits hope, longing, contradiction and uneasiness, maybe what we could say to define this strange and changing feeling or desire that faith is. I feel it so beautifully written, but this is not my mother language (I'm Spanish), so I cannot give any opinion, and not even express correctly how much I like it, the meaning, the message. Thank you!

Jen said...

thanks sophie.... i like that you picked up on the contradictions that lie in us, especially regarding faith. something that we all struggle with, i guess. and i think you express yourself very well, chica!

nayade said...

haha... thank you, you are sooo kind :-) I know that I cannot work wonders with English, but just to be able to communicate and understand makes me very happy!